Re: XFS reports lchmod failure, but changes file system contents

On 2020-02-12, Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Al Viro:

> >> It looks broken to me because fchmod (as an inode-changing operation)
> >> is not supposed to work on O_PATH descriptors.
> >
> > Why?  O_PATH does have an associated inode just fine; where does
> > that "not supposed to" come from?
>
> It fails on most file systems right now.  I thought that was expected.
> Other system calls (fsetxattr IIRC) do not work on O_PATH descriptors,
> either.  I assumed that an O_PATH descriptor was not intending to
> confer that capability.  Even openat fails.

openat(2) failing on an O_PATH for a symlink is separate to fchmod(2)
failing:

 * fchmod(2) fails with EBADF because O_PATH file descriptors have
   f->f_ops set to empty_fops -- this is why ioctl(2)s also fail on
   O_PATH file descriptors. This is *intentional* behaviour.

   My understanding of the original idea of O_PATH file descriptors is
   that they are meant to have restricted capabilities -- it's
   effectively a "half-open" file handle. The fact that some folks (like
   myself) figured out you can do all sorts of crazy stuff with them is
   mostly an accident.

 * openat(n, ...) fails with ENOTDIR because openat(2) requires the
   argument to be a directory, and O_PATH-of-a-symlink-to-a-directory
   doesn't count (path_init doesn't do resolution of the dirfd
   argument -- nor should it IMHO).

 * open(/proc/self/fd/$n) failing with ELOOP might actually be a bug
   (the error is coming from may_open as though the lookup was done with
   O_NOFOLLOW) -- the nd_jump_link() jump takes the namei lookup to a
   the symlink but it looks like the normal link_path_walk et al
   handling doesn't actually try to continue resolving it. I'll look
   into this a bit more.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)