Re: Modern uses of CONFIG_XFS_RT

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 05:55:02PM +0000, Luis Chamberlain wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 09:09:45AM -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> > > What about another question, this would certainly drive the users out of
> > > the corners: can we remove it upstream?
> >
> > My DVR and TV still use it to record video data.
>
> Is anyone productizing on that though?
>
> I was curious since most distros are disabling CONFIG_XFS_RT so I was
> curious who was actually testing this stuff or caring about it.

Most != All.  We enabled it here, for development of future products.

> > I've also been pushing the realtime volume for persistent memory devices
> > because you can guarantee that all the expensive pmem gets used for data
> > storage, that the extents will always be perfectly aligned to large page
> > sizes, and that fs metadata will never defeat that alignment guarantee.
>
> For those that *are* using XFS in production with realtime volume with dax...
> I wonder whatcha doing about all these tests on fstests which we don't
> have a proper way to know if the test succeeded / failed [0] when an
> external logdev is used, this then applies to regular external log dev
> users as well [1].

Huh?  How did we jump from realtime devices to external log files?

> Which makes me also wonder then, what are the typical big users of the
> regular external log device?
>
> Reviewing a way to address this on fstests has been on my TODO for
> a while, but it begs the question of how much do we really care first.
> And that's what I was really trying to figure out.
>
> Can / should we phase out external logdev / realtime dev? Who really is
> caring about this code these days?

Not many, I guess. :/

There seem to be a lot more tests these days that use dmflakey on the
data device to simulate a temporary disk failure... but those aren't
going to work for external log devices because they seem to assume that
what we call the data device is also the log device.

--D