Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM/BPF TOPIC] FS Maintainers Don't Scale

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:11:00AM -0500, Brian Foster wrote:
> With regard to the burnout thing, ISTM the core functionality of the
> maintainer is to maintain the integrity of the subtree. That involves
> things like enforcing development process (i.e., requiring r-b tags on
> all patches to merge), but not necessarily being obligated to resolve
> conflicts or to review every patch that comes through in detail, or
> guarantee that everything sent to the list makes it into the next
> release, etc. If certain things aren't being reviewed in time or making
> progress and that somehow results in additional pressure on the
> maintainer, ISTM that something is wrong there..?
>
> On a more logistical note, didn't we (XFS) discuss the idea of a
> rotating maintainership at one point? I know Dave had dealt with burnout
> after doing this job for quite some time, Darrick stepped in and it
> sounds like he is now feeling it as well (and maybe Eric, having to hold
> down the xfsprogs fort). I'm not maintainer nor do I really want to be,
> but I'd be willing to contribute to maintainer like duties on a limited
> basis if there's a need. For example, if we had a per-release rotation
> of 3+ people willing to contribute, perhaps that could spread the pain
> around sufficiently..? Just a thought, and of course not being a
> maintainer I have no idea how realistic something like that might be..

Not being an XFS person, I don't want to impose anything, but have
you read/seen Dan Vetter's talk on this subject?
https://blog.ffwll.ch/2017/01/maintainers-dont-scale.html (plenty of
links to follow, including particularly https://lwn.net/Articles/705228/ )

It seems like the XFS development community might benefit from a
group maintainer model.