Re: Bug in xfs_repair 5..4.0 / Unable to repair metadata corruption

> John Jore wrote:

<inserting off-list replies to these questions back into the thread>

> On 2/9/20 9:47 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> On 2/9/20 12:19 AM, John Jore wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to reports xfs_repair bugs? If wrong, please point me in the appropriate direction?
>>
>> This is the place.
>>
>>> I have a corrupted XFS volume which mounts fine, but xfs_repair is unable to repair it and volume eventually shuts down due to metadata corruption if writes are performed.
>>
>> what does dmesg say when it shuts down?

> I dont really want to mount the volume and perform writes as I assume this could cause more corruption...? I initially thought the issue was benign as it mounted and all appeared ok, it was only when it went offline I realized it may not have been a good idea to continue to write to the volume.

You said the filesystem shuts down.  When that happened, what log messages did the kernel
emit?

>>> Does not matter how many times, I've lost count, I re-run xfs_repair, with, or without -d,

> -d is for repairing a filesystem while mounted.  I hope you are not doing that, are you?
>

> Nope. The help page says its for dangerous repairs. I gave it a go. Multiple times.

>From the man page:

"-d  Repair dangerously. Allow xfs_repair to repair an XFS filesystem mounted read only."
                                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >> -d is for repairing a filesystem while mounted.  I hope you are not doing that, are you?
>>
>>> it never does repair the volume.
>>> Volume is a ~12GB LV build using 4x 4TB disks in RAID 5 using a 3Ware 9690SA controller.
>>
>> Just to double check, are there any storage errors reported in dmesg?
>>
>>> Any suggestions or additional data I can provide?
>>
>> If you are willing to provide an xfs_metadump to me (off-list) I will see if I can
>> reproduce it from the metadump.
>>
>> # xfs_metadump /dev/$WHATEVER metadump.img
>> # bzip2 metadump.img

Thanks for providing this offline, I'll take a look.

-Eric