Re: [RFC 0/8] Replacing the readpages a_op

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 03:14:26PM -0700, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 1/13/20 3:10 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> >> Plugs aren't necessarily a bio, they can be callbacks too.
> >
> > I'm thinking something as simple as this:
>
> It's a little odd imho, the plugging generally collect requests. Sounds
> what you're looking for is some plug owner private data, which just
> happens to be a bio in this case?
>
> Is this over repeated calls to some IO generating helper? Would it be
> more efficient if that helper could generate the full bio in one go,
> instead of piecemeal?

The issue is around ->readpages.  Take a look at how iomap_readpages
works, for example.  We're under a plug (taken in mm/readahead.c),
but we still go through the rigamarole of keeping a pointer to the bio
in ctx.bio and passing ctx around so that we don't end up with many
fragments which have to be recombined into a single bio at the end.

I think what I want is a bio I can reach from current, somehow.  And the
plug feels like a natural place to keep it because it's basically saying
"I want to do lots of little IOs and have them combined".  The fact that
the iomap code has a bio that it precombines fragments into suggests to
me that the existing antifragmentation code in the plugging mechanism
isn't good enough.  So let's make it better by storing a bio in the plug
and then we can get rid of the bio in the iomap code.