Re: XFS reflink vs ThinLVM

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 3:28 AM Gionatan Danti <g.danti@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Still, in at least one use case they are quite similar: single-volume
> storage of virtual machine files, with vdisk-level snapshot. So lets say
> I have a single big volume for storing virtual disk image file, and
> using XFS reflink to take atomic, per file snapshot via a simple "cp
> --reflink vdisk.img vdisk_snap.img".

Is --reflink on XFS atomic? In particular for a VM file that's being
used, that's possibly quite a lot of metadata on disk and in-flight in
the host and in the guest.

I ask because I'm not certain --reflink copies on Btrfs are atomic,
I'll have to ask over there too. Whereas btrfs subvolume snapshots are
considered atomic.

--
Chris Murphy