Re: xfs: garbage file data inclusion bug under memory pressure

On 2019/07/25 20:32, Dave Chinner wrote:
> You've had writeback errors. This is somewhat expected behaviour for
> most filesystems when there are write errors - space has been
> allocated, but whatever was to be written into that allocated space
> failed for some reason so it remains in an uninitialised state....

This is bad for security perspective. The data I found are e.g. random
source file, /var/log/secure , SQL database server's access log
containing secret values...

> For XFS and sequential writes, the on-disk file size is not extended
> on an IO error, hence it should not expose stale data.  However,
> your test code is not checking for errors - that's a bug in your
> test code - and that's why writeback errors are resulting in stale
> data exposure.  i.e. by ignoring the fsync() error,
> the test continues writing at the next offset and the fsync() for
> that new data write exposes the region of stale data in the
> file where the previous data write failed by extending the on-disk
> EOF past it....
>
> So in this case stale data exposure is a side effect of not
> handling writeback errors appropriately in the application.

But blaming users regarding not handling writeback errors is pointless
when thinking from security perspective. A bad guy might be trying to
steal data from inaccessible files.

> But I have to ask: what is causing the IO to fail? OOM conditions
> should not cause writeback errors - XFS will retry memory
> allocations until they succeed, and the block layer is supposed to
> be resilient against memory shortages, too. Hence I'd be interested
> to know what is actually failing here...

Yeah. It is strange that this problem occurs when close-to-OOM.
But no failure messages at all (except OOM killer messages and writeback
error messages).