Re: Need help to recover root filesystem after a power supply issue

On 10/07/2019 20.03, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:16 AM Andrey Zhunev <a-j@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> When reallocated sectors appear - it's clearly a bad sign. If the
>> number of reallocated sectors grow - the drive should not be used.
>> But it's not that obvious for the pending sectors...
>
> They're both bad news. It's just a matter of degree. Yes a
> manufacturer probably takes the position that pending sectors is and
> even remapping is normal drive behavior. But realistically it's not
> something anyone wants to have to deal with. It's useful for
> curiousity. Use it for Btrfs testing :-D

I have used some disks with some reallocated sectors for several years
after the "event", with not even a single failure afterwards. It should
not be fatal. For me, the criteria is that the number does not increase,
and that it is not large.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.