Re: RFC: use the iomap writepage path in gfs2

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 at 18:04, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 12:35:41AM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> > Patch "gfs2: implement gfs2_block_zero_range using iomap_zero_range"
> > isn't quite ready: the gfs2 iomap operations don't handle IOMAP_ZERO
> > correctly so far, and that needs to be fixed first.
>
> What is the issue with IOMAP_ZERO on gfs2?  Zeroing never does block
> allocations except when on COW extents, which gfs2 doesn't support,
> so there shouldn't really be any need for additional handling.

We still want to set iomap->page_ops for journalled data files on gfs2.

Also, if we go through the existing gfs2_iomap_begin_write /
__gfs2_iomap_begin logic for iomap_zero_range, it will work for
stuffed files as well, and so we can replace stuffed_zero_range with
iomap_zero_range.

> > Some of the tests assume that the filesystem supports unwritten
> > extents, trusted xattrs, the usrquota / grpquota / prjquota mount
> > options. There shouldn't be a huge number of failing tests beyond
> > that, but I know things aren't perfect.
>
> In general xfstests is supposed to have tests for that and not run
> the tests if not supported.  In most cases this is automatic, but
> in case a feature can't be autodetect we have a few manual overrides.

Yes, that needs a bit of work. Let's see.

Thanks,
Andreas