Re: xfs cgroup writeback support

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:05:32PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 08:25:27PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > By the way, did all the things Dave complained about in last year's
> > attempt[1] to add cgroup writeback support get fixed?  IIRC someone
> > whose name I didn't recognise complained about log starvation due to
> > REQ_META bios being charged to the wrong cgroup and other misbehavior.
>
> As mentioned in the reference thread while the metadata throttling is
> an issue, it is in existing one and not one touched by the cgroup
> writeback support.  This patch just ensures that writeback takes the
> cgroup information from the inode instead of the current task.  The
> fact that blkcg should not even look at any cgroup information for
> REQ_META is something that should be fixed entirely in core cgroup
> code is orthogonal to how we pick the attached cgroup.

That may be, but I don't want to merge this patchset only to find out
I've unleashed Pandora's box of untested cgroupwb hell... I /think/ they
fixed all those problems, but it didn't take all that long tracing the
blkg/blkcg object relationships for my brain to fall out. :/

[Oh well I guess I'll try to turn all that on in my test vm and see if
its brain falls out overnight too...]

> > Also, I remember that in the earlier 2017 discussion[2] we talked about
> > a fstest to test that writeback throttling actually capped bandwidth
> > usage correctly.  I haven't been following cgroupwb development since
> > 2017 -- does it not ratelimit bandwidth now, or is there some test for
> > that?  The only test I could find was shared/011 which only tests the
> > accounting, not bandwidth.
>
> As far as I can tell cfq could limit bandwith, but cgq is done now.
> Either way all that is hiddent way below us.

<shrug> ok?  I mean, if bandwidth limits died as a feature it'd be nice
to know that outright. :)

--D