misc log item related cleanups

Hi all,

I've recently been trying to debug issue related to latencies related to
locked buffers and went all over our log item lifecycles for that.

It turns out a lot of code in that area is rather obsfucated and
redundant.  This series is almost entirely cleanups, but there are lots
of it.  The only exception is a fix for systematic memory leaks which
appears entirely theoretical.