Re: [ANNOUNCE] xfsprogs v4.20.0 released

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 06:12:17PM -0800, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2/22/2019 10:33 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> >         - xfs_scrub: move all executables to /usr/sbin (Darrick Wong)
> >
> ---
>     How does moving executables to /usr/sbin pertain to cleaning
> metadata?

I think we have a misunderstanding here.  "Move all executables" means I
changed where the xfsprogs package puts the binary when installing the
package.  xfs_scrub does not itself move binaries (or any file) around
when it is running.

The reason for changing the packaging is that xfs_scrub depends on
libraries in /usr, so it makes no sense to have xfs_scrub in /sbin.

> What happens if /usr is not mounted or not created and the user is
> running the xfs utils out of /sbin??

If /usr is broken and won't mount, use xfs_repair to make it mountable,
just like we have always done.

xfs_scrub is only meant to be used as a background process on a system
once it has come completely up.  xfs_repair's role has not changed -- it
is still the intended tool to fix filesystems that will not mount or
that cannot be fixed while online.

> For that matter, if the tools are run out of /sbin, are you saying
> xfs_scrub will move them all off of the root partition onto the /usr
> partition?

No.

>     If you are moving the executables, are you also moving all of their
> linked libraries?  It seems if you are wanting safety, moving the libraries
> and executables to the same directory would be prudent, otherwise,
> why move them to to /usr/sbin?
> >         - Merge libxfs from kernel 4.20
> >
> What is libxfs being merged with?

Merging bug fixes from the kernel into xfsprogs.

--D