Re: XFS filesystem hang

Am 19.01.19 um 01:19 schrieb Dave Chinner:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 03:48:46PM +0100, Daniel Aberger - Profihost AG wrote:
>>>
>>> Is that an unmodified distro kernel or one you've patched and built
>>> yourself?
>>
>> Unmodified regarding XFS and any subsystems related to XFS, as I was
>> being told.
>
> That doesn't answer my question - has the kernel been patched (and
> what with) or is it a completely unmodified upstream kernel?

The kernel we were running was OpenSUSE SLE15 based on commit
6c5c7489089608d89b7ce310bca44812e2b0a4a5.

https://github.com/openSUSE/kernel

>>> Just  notes as I browse it.
>>> - lots of free memory.
>>> - xfs-info: 1.3TB, 32 ags, ~700MB log w/sunit =64fsbs
>>>   sunit=64 fsbs, swidth=192fsbs (RAID?)
>>> - mount options: noatime, sunit=512,sunit=1536, usrquota
>>> - /dev/sda3 mounted on /
>>> - /dev/sda3 also mounted on /home/tmp (bind mount of something?)

>>> No smoking gun.

>>> Ok, so mysqld seems to be the problem child here.
>>>

>> Our MySQL workload on this server is very small except for this time of
>> the day because our local backup to /backup happens during this time.
>> The highest IO happens during the night when our local backup is being
>> written. The timestamps of these two outputs suggest that the "mysql
>> dump" phase might just have been started. Unfortunately we only keep the
>> log of the last job, so I can't confirm that.
>
> Ok, so you've just started loading up the btrfs volume that is also
> attached to the same raid controller, which does have raid caches
> enabled....
>
> I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Do you suggest to change any caching options?

> Best would be to capture iostat output for both luns (as per the
> FAQ) when the problem workload starts.

What I can give you so far is two I/O activity screenshots of Grafana of
two of the dmesg outputs above.

https://imgur.com/a/3lL776U

>>> Which leads me to ask: what is your RAID cache setup - write-thru,
>>> write-back, etc?
>>>

>> Our RAID6 cache configuration:
>>
>>    Read-cache setting                       : Disabled
>>    Read-cache status                        : Off
>>    Write-cache setting                      : Disabled
>>    Write-cache status                       : Off
>
> Ok, so read caching is turned off, which means it likely won't even
> be caching stripes between modifications. May not be very efficient,
> but hard to say if it's the problem or not.
>
>> Full Configuration: https://pastebin.com/PdGatDY4
>
> Yeah, caching is enabled on the backup btrfs lun, so there may be
> interaction issues. Is the backup device idle (or stalling) at the
> same time that the XFS messages are being issued?

In 2 out of 3 cases it happened while the backup job was running, which
starts at 0:10 am and finishes roughly between 2:30 and 3:30 am on this
particular machine. So it wasn't idle.

The MySQL dumping phase takes about 20 to 25 minutes and happens at the
end of the backup job.