Re: [QUESTION] XFS inode allocation policy

Il giorno lun 3 dic 2018 alle ore 19:38 Darrick J. Wong
<darrick.wong@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 03:31:46PM +0100, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > I am trying to recover a Linux XFS file system that has been partially
> > overwritten in its beginning part with an improper run of dd (disk
> > dump).
> > The original FS had been created from scratch (mkfs.xfs) and then
> > filled with a single TAR file.
> > I'd need to be pointed to the proper documentation (if any) to better
> > understand how the disk space has been used while writing that TAR
> > file.
> > I aim to reconstruct the surviving inode list to try to rescue as much
> > as possible of that TAR file.
>
> In general, directories are spread across the allocation groups, and
> files are allocated near the directory in which they were created.  The
> one huge tarball was probably in AG 0 along with the root directory,
> which means that both are likely unrecoverable.  That said, xfs_repair
> could be able to reconstruct the primary sb from a secondary copy (make
> a working copy and run xfs_repair -n against the working copy)... but
> the data might be still be unrecoverable.
>
> Definitely make a working copy of the disk and run your recovery tools
> against that working copy, leaving the original alone.  Good luck!

Thanks Darrick for the feedback.

I'd like to put some data here in order to get a more realistic
estimate from you (provided it's possible).
The device that's been freshly XFS-formatted is a 2TB disk.
The data that's been put onto it is a 1.3TB uncompressed TAR file.
The first 586MB of the XFS file system got overwitten with an UEFI boot image.
Do you think there's still some chance to recover a (trailing) part of
the TAR file?
Should I restore the original DOS partition table (with just one partition)?

Thanks again.

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies