Re: xfs_alloc_ag_vextent_near() takes about 30ms to complete

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:03:44PM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 09:21:30AM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:
> > >
> > > I wouldn't bother. I'd just take the "last block" algorithm and make
> > > it search all the >= contiguous free space extents for best locality
> > > before dropping back to the minlen search.
> > >

> > Ok, that makes sense. The caveat seems to be though that the "last
> > block" algorithm searches all of the applicable records to discover the
> > best locality. We could open up this search as such, but if free space
> > happens to be completely fragmented to >= requested extents, that could
> > mean every allocation falls into a full cntbt scan where a bnobt lookup
> > would result in a much faster allocation.
>
> Yup, we'll need to bound it so it doesn't do stupid things. :P

Yep.

> > So ISTM that we still need some kind of intelligent heuristic to fall
> > back to the second algorithm to cover the "too many" case. What exactly
> > that is may take some more thought, experimentation and testing.
>
> Yeah, that's the difficulty with making core allocator algorithm
> changes - how to characterise the effect of the change. I'm not sure
> that's a huge problem in this case, though, because selecting a
> matching contig freespace is almost always going to be better for
> filesystem longetivty and freespace fragmentation resistance than
> slecting a shorter freespace and doing lots more small allocations.
> it's the 'lots of small allocations' that really makes the freespace
> framgmentation spiral out of control, so if we can avoid that until
> we've used all the matching contig free spaces we'll be better off
> in the long run.

Ok, so I ran fs_mark against the metadump with your patch and a quick
hack to unconditionally scan the cntbt if maxlen extents are available
(up to mxr[0] records similar to your patch, to avoid excessive scans).
The xfs_alloc_find_best_extent() patch alone didn't have much of a
noticeable effect, but that is an isolated optimization and I'm only
doing coarse measurements atm that probably hide it in the noise.

The write workload improves quite a bit with the addition of the cntbt
change. Both throughput (via iostat 60s intervals) and fs_mark files/sec
change from a slow high/low sweeping behavior to much more consistent
and faster results. I see a sweep between 3-30 MB/s and ~30-250 f/sec
change to a much more consistent 27-39MB/s and ~200-300 f/s.

A 5 minute tracepoint sample consists of 100% xfs_alloc_near_first
events which means we never fell back to the bnobt based search. I'm not
sure the mxr thing is the right approach necessarily, I just wanted
something quick that would demonstrate the potential upside gains
without going off the rails. One related concern I have with restricting
the locality of the search too much, for example, is that we use
NEAR_BNO allocs for other things like inode allocation locality that
might not be represented in this simple write only workload.

Brian