Re: mkfs.xfs: don't go into multidisk mode if there is only one stripe

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:55 PM Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/5/18 9:50 AM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 05 2018 at  7:27am -0400,

> >> (adding Mike)
> >>
> >> ... and that 300M filesystem ends up with 8 AGs, when normally you get
> >> 4 AGs for anything less than 4T.  Is that really intended?
> >>
> >> AFAIK dm-thinp reports these values for the same exact reason as rbd:
> >> we are passing up the information about the efficient I/O size.  In the
> >> case of dm-thinp, this is the thinp block size.  If you put dm-thinp on
> >> top of a RAID array, I suspect it would pass up the array's preferred
> >> sizes, as long as they are a proper factor of the thinp block size.
> >
> > Right, see pool_io_hints() for all the logic thinp uses to consume block
> > core's blk_stack_limits() provided limits.. thinp can override if the
> > underlying limits are _not_ a factor of the thinp's blocksize.
> >
> >> The high agcount on dm-thinp has come up before and you suggested that
> >> dm-thinp should report iomin == ioopt (i.e. sunit == swidth).  If that
> >> was the right fix back in 2014, mkfs.xfs must have regressed:
> >>
> >>   https://marc.info/?l=linux-xfs&m=137783388617206&w=2
> >>   https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=fdfb4c8c1a9fc8dd8cf8eeb4e3ed83573b375285
> >
> > Yeah, if we're getting larger AG count again, certainly seems like
> > mkfs.xfs regressed.
>
> Our emails crossed ;) - no, there's no regression.  Dave's comment about
> the thinp values weren't related to the mkfs AG heuristic.

I was going by "This fixes an issue reported where mkfs.xfs would
create more XFS Allocation Groups on thinp volumes than on a normal
linear LV of comparable size" in the commit message (Jul 2014, 3.17
kernel).

I've just went through xfsprogs releases v3.1.8 (Mar 2012) through
v3.2.2 (Dec 2014) with dm-thinp on 3.18.108 kernel and they all do the
same high agcount thing, so there appears to be no regression indeed.

Thanks,

                Ilya