cross-fs copy support

I was wondering about the cross-fs copy through copy_file_range.
It seems current implement has below check, that disables such copy.

1577         /* this could be relaxed once a method supports cross-fs copies */
1578         if (inode_in->i_sb != inode_out->i_sb)
1579                 return -EXDEV;

May I know what are the thoughts behind disabling cross-fs copy?
Code has the comment "once a method supports", but that leaves me
wondering exactly what 'method' is expected, and from whom.

I disabled the check, and copy across volumes seemed to work fine. At
least for a single file (1G size), with no data mismatch, and faster
speed than regular copy.

--
Joshi