Re: delalloc and reflink fixes & tweaks

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 09:00:57AM +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > Careful.  We already have issues because delalloc blocks before EOF don't
> > ever get reclaimed.  This triggers up on xfs/442 with 1k blocksize for
> > me.  I actually have a fix for that now, but that will require dropping
> > one of the cleanup patches from this series, so expect a respin.
>
> Yeah, I didn't say everything already worked, just that using
> preallocation for delalloc gets rid of the stale data exposure
> problem that has prevented us from doing this in the past.

And I think I have to do the mark preallocations as unwritten now
given that my other fix idea that I wasted the whole day on yesterday
didn't turn out to actually work properly.  Sigh..

> That's sounds like a good idea, and a good direction to head
> towards. No immediate hurry, just trying to understand where you
> might be going with these changes.

I've been working on adding (or resurrecting) and always_cow mode,
which helped to expose all kinds of interesting bugs.  That mode
again will be that base for atomic writes (including safe overwrites)
and a zone block device (aka SMR) mode that also can't write in place.