Re: dm-writecache issue

On 9/18/18 7:32 AM, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 07:46:47AM -0400, Mikulas Patocka wrote:
>> I would ask the XFS developers about this - why does mkfs.xfs select
>> sector size 512 by default?
>
> Because the underlying device told it that it supported a
> sector size of 512 bytes?

Not only that, but it must have told us that it had a /physical/ 512 sector.
If it had even said physical/logical 4096/512, we would have chosen 4096.

What does please check blockdev --getpbsz --getss /dev/$FOO say at mkfs time?

>> If a filesystem created with the default 512-byte sector size is activated
>> on a device with 4k sectors, it results in mount failure.
>
> Yes, it does, but mkfs should also fail when it tries to write 512
> byte sectors to a 4k device, too.

> I'm betting that the underlying device advertised a logical/physical
> sector size of 512 bytes to mkfs, and then adding pmem as the cache
> device changed the logical volume from a 512 byte sector device to a
> hard 4k sector device.

Yup, please check blockdev --getpbsz --getss /dev/$FOO for the
devices in question during the course of this testcase.  As Dave says,
we can't mkfs a device that claims to support 512 bytes IOs and then
have that granularity increase.  (And going the other way, i.e. making
512 byte IOs non-atomic may break guarantees that journaling relies on).

-Eric