Re: fatal error -- couldn't map inode 4324730417, err = 117 (Big Noob at this please help)

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 05:24:21PM +1000, Jason wrote:
> Gday all
>
>   Having a problem with an XFS formatted drive and hope someone can help. On
> unraid, got a format error, ran xfs_repair with the -L prefix (4.15 i think
> that whats built in),got the fatal error above and the unraid people sent me
> over here. If somebody could help that would be great thanks . here is the
> output
>

> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
>         - block cache size set to 738560 entries
> Phase 6 - check inode connectivity...
>         - resetting contents of realtime bitmap and summary inodes
>         - traversing filesystem ...
>         - agno = 2
> bad hash table for directory inode 4305076930 (no data entry): rebuilding
> rebuilding directory inode 4305076930
> Invalid inode number 0x0
> xfs_dir_ino_validate: XFS_ERROR_REPORT
>
> fatal error -- couldn't map inode 4324730417, err = 117

I wonder if this is one of those weird/transient verifier issues we had
from transferring over libxfs code into places where it might trip up
repair from dealing with corrupt objects. I don't recall the exact
signature(s) of that error (or affected releases), but the best first
suggestion is probably to try the latest xfs_repair.

Note that if you're running in a controlled environment where it is
difficult to upgrade or compile xfsprogs, you should be able to create a
metadump, copy the metadump off the system and test out newer repair
executables vs. the (restored) metadump on a development system. If the
latest repair handles the metadump image successfully, you'll still need
to find a way to run it against your original filesystem. If it doesn't,
then perhaps you can share the metadump with a developer to debug.

Brian