Re: XFS 2038 rollover?

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:33:01AM -0400, Hal Pomeranz wrote:
> I was curious about the roadmap for solving the 32-bit signed
> rollover issue for XFS (aka the “Y2K38” issue). You could
> cheat in a similar fashion to EXT4 and use the upper two bits of
> the nsec values to extend the seconds field to 34 bits. Or will
> the inode core be expanding to allow full 64-bit seconds values?
> Or is there some other plan?
>
> I’ve checked the FAQ and haven’t been able to find
> anything via Google.

Something along these lines:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/1/240

However, the VFS infrastructure I was asking for back in 2014 for
clamping timestamp ranges to the valid on-disk supported filesystem
range hasn't appeared yet, so there's a lot more work than just the
preliminary on-disk extended range support to be done....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner