Re: xfs_buf_lock vs aio

On 02/14/2018 02:07 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:

Indeed, does your application and/or users even care about
[acm]times on your files being absolutely accurate and crash
resilient? i.e. do you use fsync() or fdatasync() to guarantee the
data is on stable storage?

We use fdatasync and don't care about mtime much. So lazytime would work for us.

We're actually doing something much worse than lazytime now: we truncate the file to a much larger size (and keep increasing that size, exponentially) to avoid triggering XFS's write-will-create-a-hole-so-lets-stall thing. So compared to that, lazytime is invisible in terms of data integrity.