Re: xfs_scrub: call for testing

Le Fri, 2 Feb 2018 15:36:33 -0600
Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> I'd really value feedback on scrub as it stand at this point -
> Is the documentation clear?  Is the output correct?  Do the
> tool's arguments make sense?  Does it segfault?  Does it
> find real errors?  Does it crash your kernel? Does it
> eat your data?

Wouldn't it be better to remove the parts about repairing the
filesystem in the documentation? The man page states that it *can't*
repair the filesystem, but nonetheless explains under which
circumstances it *won't* be able to repair (in some theoretical future
version with repair capabilities, I suppose). Ditto with the -n and -y
option, I suppose they're both basically noop at the moment? That's
quite unclear what it actually does.

Regarding FITRIM for flash storage, I think most people refers to it as
"TRIM", not the ioctl name FITRIM. Using "TRIM" would probably be more
understandable IMO.

Because I'm such a funny boy, I just wanted to see what happens when
running xfs_scrub on an unsupported kernel. On both a 4.14.x and a
3.18.x it seems about right:

root@bareos16:~# ./xfs_scrub /mnt/raid/
EXPERIMENTAL xfs_scrub program in use! Use at your own risk!
Error: /mnt/raid: Kernel metadata scrubbing facility is not available.
Info: /mnt/raid: Scrub aborted after phase 1.
/mnt/raid: 2 errors found.

I don't have any system running 4.15 to test its effects, but I'll do
as soon as possible.