Re: Reproducible XFS filesystem artifacts

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Philipp Schrader
<philipp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 8:05 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So I'm curious. Why xfs and fat and not, say, squashfs?
>> https://reproducible-builds.org/events/athens2015/system-images/
>
> It's a good question. It's largely because of historical reasons
> internally. We started with XFS on the first iteration of our product.
> We fixed a few minor bugs and were overall really happy with
> performance etc. Later down the line came the question of system
> upgrades without breaking what we currently had. Anyway, so XFS is
> where we're at today.
>
> That being said, for the future something like squashfs is definitely
> a better choice. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do more research on
> that.

Adding to the historical reasons list, we've got a lot of test time
with XFS and CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, and it's working well for us.  That's
always very hard to quantify when making a decision whether or not to
switch filesystems.

Austin