Re: [ANNOUNCE] quick note on the xfsprogs v4.14.0 tag

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 05:15:40PM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 1/18/18 5:10 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Hello dear XFS users:
> >
> > tl;dr: everything is fine.  No action is needed.
> >
> > Just a heads up that I had mis-tagged v4.14.0 in git when I did the
> > release; it was an inconsequential mistake - long story, but
> > checking out v4.14.0 /did/ get you the proper codebase, just
> > not the top commit on the master branch at the time of release.
> >
> > So for posterity, I'm making it clear that I've moved the v4.14.0
> > tag to the proper commit.  There is no functional change, and
> > the tarballs at
> > https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/fs/xfs/xfsprogs/
> > will remain unmodified.
> >
> > the auto-generated snapshot tarball at
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfsprogs-dev.git/snapshot/xfsprogs-dev-4.14.0.tar.gz
> > did get regenerated by the kernel.org infra, with an identical
> > resulting md5sum.
> >
> > So when you do a git pull and see:
> >
> >  * [new tag]         v4.14.0    -> v4.14.0
>
> Actually, you'll probably want to do a git fetch --tags
> to be sure to get the moved tag.

FWIW, it's also worth noting that branches checked out on the old
v4.14.0 tag will not fast-forward update when the master branch
moves forward as they are pointing to an orphaned commit off the
main history line. You'll probably need to run either:

	git reset --hard v4.14.0

or
	git reset --hard origin/master

to return your checked out branch(es) to the master branch and have
git pull/git fetch update it in sync with the upstream repository
again.

Cheers,

Dave.
--