Re: Growing RAID10 with active XFS filesystem

On 08/01/18 22:01, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Yup, 21 devices in a RAID 10. That's a really nasty config for
> RAID10 which requires an even number of disks to mirror correctly.
> Why does MD even allow this sort of whacky, sub-optimal
> configuration?

Just to point out - if this is raid-10 (and not raid-1+0 which is a
completely different beast) this is actually a normal linux config. I'm
planning to set up a raid-10 across 3 devices. What happens is that is
that raid-10 writes X copies across Y devices. If X = Y then it's a
normal mirror config, if X > Y it makes good use of space (and if X < Y
it doesn't make sense :-)

SDA: 1, 2, 4, 5

SDB: 1, 3, 4, 6

SDC: 2, 3, 5, 6