Re: Quota performance hit?

On Wed, Jan 03, 2018 at 12:02:13AM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if anyone could point me towards any numbers on how much
> of a performance penalty project quotas incur on a write-heavy
> filesystem.  The idea being discussed here is putting a project
> quota on the /var/log directory (so pretty write-heavy)

/var/log is definitely a "mostly write" directory, but I wouldn't
ever classify it as "write heavy".

Unless you are trying to perform thousands of concurrent writes
and/or log file creation/removal operations every second to
/var/log, then putting a project quota on that directory is not
going to cause you any sort of noticable problem.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner