Re: Block size and read-modify-write

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 12:14:14AM +0100, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Hi list,
> I would ask a question: how XFS block size affect read-modify-write in case
> of very small writes?

Hi,

> For example, suppose an XFS filesystem with the default 4K data block size.
> Am I correct saying that:
> - a 512B normal, cached writes will cause a read-modify-write of the entire
> 4K sector?
> - a 512B O_DIRECT write will *not* cause a read-modify-write of the 4K
> sector, rather it will be flushed to disk as-is (512 bytes in length)?

IIRC, although the DIO requirement is to have writes aligned to the logical sector
size, issuing such IOs not properly aligned with the filesystem block size, have
a few consequences.

- It will require exclusive inode io locks, so serializing IOs to the inode
- And yes, it will require a RMW to the block in question, all IO are always
  made in filesystem block size units.

I'm probably missing something else here though, but these two are the things I
had in my mind.

Cheers