Re: Illegal value 0 for -l sunit option ?

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your reply!

Yup, old mkfs would accept values that were illegal and could do completly unpredictable things with them. We tightened up the input parsing to only accept valid values xfsprogs in 4.7.0

I fully agree here, you can't allow illegal values to enter file system structures. What is somehow confusing for me (as a user who don't have deep knowledge of XFS internals) is xfs_info output who proclaims XFS file system options that are set and in use (so I'd consider them valid), but on the other hand are evaluated by mkfs.xfs as invalid :-/.

Apart from that when I omit "-l sunit=0" in my mkfs.xfs command, file system is successfully created and consecutive call to xfs_info returns that my file system was created with "sunit=0 blks" ... This somehow don't feels right to me.

Why not just use xfs_copy? I mean, if all you're trying to do is
make a space efficient block-level clone of an XFS filesytem, then
we've already got a tool to do that...

Honestly I've did not know much about this tool until you've mentioned it. I've tried it today for first time in my life and despite its certain usefulness I can't really use it for solving problem of mine. ReaR can operate in multiple modes where xfs_copy could be implemented, unfortunately I'm trying to solve problems in mode that is most frequently used by our users and implementing xfs_copy could cause havoc. The mode I'm talking about just collects information about your current partitioning, file systems, mount points etc, and stores them as config file into bootable ISO (which does not contains actual OS data). Once you boot ISO, all these data are pull out and passed to appropriate user space programs for structure recreation. So this is the main reason why I need to have original file system values at hand ...

Best regards!

Vlado