Re: Support for data CRC

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
<sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2017-08-21 13:52:48 [-0600], Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior
>> <sebastian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > my understanding is that only metadata is protected by CRC in the new
>> > on-disk format. Are there any plans to also protect data?
>>
>> See dm-integrity, merged as of 4.12 kernel. I haven't seen any
>> performance benchmarking so far.
>
> So this ensures integrity with the help of crypto algorithms. This is a
> bit much as something like crc32c/crc64 would be sufficient. However
> dm-integrity does not provide a way to recover (as far as I can tell).

If a block fails integrity checking, there's a read error that goes to
the next layer which would need to have replication such as mdadm/lvm
RAID. And that layer would grab a good copy, and fix the bad copy. So
every physical drive would first have dm-integrity applied, which is a
1:1 mapping, and then each dm-integrity logical device is made a PV
for LVM, and then you create raid1/5/6 LV's or whatever you want, and
then format it whatever you want.

Documentation says either crc or hash is possible, including crc32.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/device-mapper/dm-integrity.txt

> My idea was that if the "normal" path is faulty (and noticed by the crc
> check) it (xfs or the dm layer) would try to read the data via an
> alternative path if possible (say on RAID1/5/6).

Yes you have to build each layer you want separately with this method.
Otherwise you're looking at ZFS or Btrfs if you want it integrated.

--
Chris Murphy