Re: Collecting aged XFS profiles

On 07/19/2017 02:59 AM, Stefan Ring wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:48 AM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> To analyse such things, maybe consider gathering obfuscated metadump
>> images rather asking people to run scripts that gather limited
>> information.  That way you can develop scripts to extract the
>> information your research requires from the filesystem images you
>> received, rather than try to draw tenuous conclusions from a limited
>> data set...
>
> I have created a metadump that is 1GB in size, xz-compressed. However,
> by running strings on it I find that there are many identifiable
> remains inside, and I cannot legally pass this on. xfsprogs is
> xfsprogs-3.1.1-10.el6, which is obviously really old. I'm reluctant to
> just run a newer version on this production machine; after all I've
> once almost brought it down by running xfs_bmap on a heavily
> fragmented file.

newer metadump should correct that problem, and is a read-only tool,
so should be (tm) perfectly safe (tm).  You could run it out of a built
git repo, via the xfs_db commands.

> The question is: can I import this metadata image in a VM and recreate
> the metadata image from there, using modern xfsprogs? Will this
> preserve most of the relevant information?

yes, that would work too. (mdrestore followed by or piped through metadump)
If you find significant strings in that result please let me know :)

Thanks,
-Eric