Re: XFS hang - 4.4.73 longterm

On Sun, Jul 09, 2017 at 05:01:25PM +0000, Markus Stockhausen wrote:
> [...]

I'd advise you to set an extent size hint to reduce fragmentation, the
same as we tell everyone else. :)

I'd also advise you not to punch too many holes in the VM files because
that increases extent map overhead.  There's also an unfortunate design
problem in the in-memory extent map -- all the extents have to fit in a
single chunk of memory -- and punching a lot of small holes when memory
is tight can lead to allocation failures.

(Even after we fix that problem I'd still advise against punching a lot
of small holes purely due to the overhead that creates.)

> I'm not familiar with SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_data feature. Do you see negative
> impact if disabling these? In contrast to falling back to NFS 4
> without seek + discard support.

Well, whatever program was using SEEK_{HOLE,DATA} to skip sparse holes
in the files will likely revert to a much slower "read the whole file
looking for block aligned zeroes" algorithm... assuming that was why it
was doing that in the first place.

FWIW I just sent off the 4.13 merge request with the SEEK_HOLE fixes,
though they depend on iomap, which (iirc) wasn't added to the vfs until
4.8 or so.

--D