Re: Shutdown filesystem when a thin pool become full

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 05:03:42PM +0200, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Il 20-06-2017 13:05 Carlos Maiolino ha scritto:

> > Surely this can be improved, but at the end, the application will always
> > need to
> > check for its own data.
>
> I think the key improvement would be to let the filesystem know about the
> full thin pool - ie: returing ENOSPC at some convenient time (a wild guess:
> can we return ENOSPC during delayed block allocation?)

FWIW, I played with something like this a while ago. See the following
(and its predecessor for a more detailed cover letter):

  http://oss.sgi.com/pipermail/xfs/2016-April/048166.html

You lose some allocation efficiency with this approach because XFS
relies on a worst case allocation reservation in dm-thin, but IIRC that
only really manifested when the volume was near ENOSPC. If one finds
that tradeoff acceptable, I think it's otherwise possible to forward
ENOSPC from the the block device earlier than is done currently.

Brian