Re: My XFS volume died, please help!

On 6/2/17 6:21 PM, Péter András Felvégi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after a power outage, the mount replayed the journal and no errors
> were reported, but the mounted XFS volume had suspiciously little free
> space.

Did it happen to be your root filesystem, or some other?

> So I unmounted, and ran xfs_repair which crashed in phase 5

Did it happen to find corruption before that?

> with a floating point exception. After that I was unable to mount
> again, due to metadata corruption, so the repair made things worse.
> Please help!
>
> Linux 4.4.66 x86_64, Debian Jessie, xfsprogs 3.2.1

3 years old :(

> xps_repair output:
> Phase 5 - rebuild AG headers and trees...
>         - agno = 0
> traps: xfs_repair[4786] trap divide error ip:417fef sp:7ffe43770d60
> error:0 in xfs_repair[400000+7a000]
> Floating point exception

> mount output:
> XFS (dm-2): Mounting V5 Filesystem
> XFS (dm-2): Corruption warning: Metadata has LSN (11:170112) ahead of
> current LSN (1:64). Please unmount and run xfs_repair (>= v4.3) to
> resolve.

I'd follow the advice as printed, and you'll probably be fine.

If you want a test run, do what Carlos suggested, after getting
a modern xfsprogs package:

# xfs_metadump -o /dev/dm-2 - | xfs_mdrestore - dm-2.img
# xfs_repair dm-2.img
# mkdir -p mnt/
# mount -o loop dm-2.img mnt/

and see how that looks (metadata only, the image created
above will contain no file data)

If current xfsprogs also segfaults, please provide a metadump
image:

# xfs_metadump /dev/dm-2 dm-2.metadump
# bzip2 dm-2.metadump

and provide the result to me or carlos (on a side channel, out
of an abundance of caution for privacy).

-Eric