Shutdown filesystem when a thin pool become full

Hi all,
I have a question regarding how to automatically shutdown (or put in read-only mode) an XFS filesystem which reside on a full thin pool.

Background info: when a thin pool become full, it will deny any new unallocated writes, but will continue to allow writes to already-allocated storage chunks. So, it behave as a badly damaged disk, where some places can be written, but others throw an error.

Playing with dmsetup table it is possible to deny *all* I/O to the volume, but it require careful monitor and a sensible script to do the right thing (tm).

From my testing, it happear that XFS will shutdown itself when a metadata write fails, however, failed *data* update will continue without triggering any filesystem response. Is this by design? Can I do something about that?

As a side note, I perfectly understand that async writes should *not* put the filesystem in suspended state; however, I found this behavior for synchronized writes also.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico