Re: permanent XFS volume corruption

On 5/12/17 1:26 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 5/11/17 9:39 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> In any event I think there are two problems: The corruption itself
>>> (possibly an issue with recent enough upstream kernels only) and
>>> the fact that running xfs_repair doesn't help in these cases.
>>
>> FWIW, recent xfs_repair (v4.11.0) finds several bad inodes on the
>> sdb8 metadump you sent, and apparently fixes* them without problems.
>>
>> inode 764 has RT flag set but there is no RT device
>> directory flags set on non-directory inode 764
>> inode 2068 has RT flag set but there is no RT device
>> directory flags set on non-directory inode 2068
>> inode 268448674 has RT flag set but there is no RT device
>> directory flags set on non-directory inode 268448674
>>
>> these are:
>>
>> 764: lib/xenstored/tdb
>> 2068: log/messages
>> 268448674: lib/sudo/jbeulich/0
>
> This matches then was xfs_repair -n has found here.
>
> I'm surprised log/messages is among them, as I didn't have to do
> anything to it to at least avoid the kernel warnings (for the other
> two I've simply renamed the containing directories, creating fresh
> ones instead). What I did get kernel warnings for were one or
> two files under log/xen/, which I've then similarly renamed and
> re-created.
>
>> and after repair, I can read all the inodes on the device w/o
>> further errors (upstream linus kernel)
>
> So on the earlier instance, where I did run actual repairs (and
> indeed multiple of them), the problem re-surfaces every time
> I mount the volume again.

Ok, what is the exact sequence there, from repair to re-corruption?

> Iirc the inode numbers didn't change,
> but in some cases the associated files did (namely when these
> weren't ones created very soon after mount, i.e. when the
> order of things is less predictable - it was in particular /var/run/
> which was affected there). That's the reason I've refrained
> from trying to xfs_repair the issues in this second instance.
>
> Now one question obviously is whether the repair strategy
> changed between the xfs_repair versions I use (3.1.8 on the

That's extremely old - Mar 2012, FWIW.

> system that I sent you the meta data dump from, likely the
> same on the other one): Mine clears the inodes with the bad
> RT flag, while - namely considering the subsequent "block ...
> type unknown" reported by xfs_check - it might instead be
> possible to reconstruct the files and clear the RT flag. But of
> course I know nothing about XFS internals...

That is what xfs_repair did here - it cleared the bad flags and left
the rest intact.

>> *Each of the 3 problematic inodes has an odd assortment of flags
>> set (think chattr type flags) - some have immutable, some have
>> noatime, some have nodump, etc.  These are what cause xfs_repair
>> t ocomplain.  It seems unlikely that any of these were actually set
>> on your filesystem, as these are the only ones with any flags set.
>> After repair, they're showing:
>>
>> --S---dA----------- mnt/log/messages
>> --S-i--A----------- mnt/lib/sudo/jbeulich/0
>> --S----A----------- mnt/lib/xenstored/tdb
>>
>> Did you happen to set chattr flags on these files intentionally?
>
> I certainly didn't. As I don't know how to produce this form of
> flags display, I can't (for now) compare with what a healthy
> system has there.

The above is from the lsattr display.  (I suppose it's plausible that
i.e. messages would have "append-only" set by something ...)

-Eric