Re: xfsaild in D state seems to be blocking all other i/o sporadically

On 21.04.2017 11:18, Shan Hai wrote:

>> I also noticed that unmounting the file system takes a really long time
>> after the problem occured (up to around 5 minutes!). Even when there was
>> nothing at all going on before the unmount. Would it help to capture the
>> unmount with trace-cmd?
>
> A huge negative dcache entries would cause a slow umount,
> please check it by 'cat /proc/sys/fs/dentry-state', the first column
> is for used(active) entries while the second is for the unused
> (negative) entries.

Does this qualify as "huge"?
# cat /proc/sys/fs/dentry-state
10689551        10539266        45      0       0       0

> It can be dropped by 'echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'.

Won't that drop all dentries and inodes from the cache, which is what I
should be trying to avoid?

>> Here is another theory. Could it be that not the rsync's, but the rm's
>> issued by rsnapshot are causing the problem? Would it help to serialize
>> all "rm -Rf" calls? Those always delete the oldest backups, which can't
>> possibly be in the cache and because of that all those inodes need to be
>> read into memory during deletion. Maybe those rm's are filling up the
>> XFS log?

Answering myself here: after removing the "rm" calls from rsnapshot the
problem completely disappeared. I've now written a separate script which
processes all "rm -Rf *" calls sequentially. I would deduce now that
parallel deletion of big directory trees were pushing the filesystem
(and xfsaild) so hard to cause those 10-15 minute stalls.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to help me solve the problem.

Have a nice weekend,
Michael