Re: Selectively backup based on specific date

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 03:11:07PM +0100, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Donnerstag, 23. März 2017 09:21:56 Michael Lueck wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am looking for the correct xfsdump syntax to backup dirs/files newer than
> > a certain date.
>
> xfsdump is a tool in the tradition of unix filesystem dump utilities.
> Those always dump a full filesystem, and consequently, fully restore
> filesystems only.

Not true. xfsdump/restore can backup directory subtrees just fine.
See, for example, the '-s pathname' option....

> > I have not found mention of such an option / capability within xfsdump.
> > Hopefully there is a creative way to do the selective backup.

xfsdump does "backup files changed since" operations via incremental
backups. i.e. if you want to backup only things changed since $DATE,
you first need to have run a dump that on $DATE, and you then do an
incremental dump which will contain only the changed files/dirs
since $DATE...

IOWs, xfsdump is designed to be used as part of a well-defined,
managed backup and disaster recovery strategy - it's not an ad-hoc
"copy random specification of files" tool.

> Using a linux derivate, there are plenty of more or less creative options to
> selectively backup/restore arbitrary file systems, but this is rather OT for
> the ML.

The downside of these generic utilities is they are much slower than
xfsdump for large scale backup operations, they trash the
inode/dentry/page caches and they don't really support concurrent
operations needed to scale effectively. i.e.  if you need to dump
throughput of multiple GB/s, process tens/hundreds of millions of
files and/or drive multiple tape drives concurrently from a single
filesystem, then xfsdump is a much better option...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner