Re: Significantly longer fallocate times with Flag Unwritten Extents disabled

Woops, I forgot to send this response to the mailing list:

Thanks for the information and the explanation. That all makes sense,
as I cannot reproduce the non-zero data behaviour and suspect I called
fallocate() on an existing file.  When I read back freshly fallocated
files I only ever get zeros back.  Apologies for the confusion.

The reason I am trying to create large uninitialized files quickly is
that I have a hardware (FPGA) based system which is capable of writing
to an SSD at a very fast rate. With software in the loop (managing the
OS, file system and IO etc) I am limited to quite low rates (about 1/5
of the hardware performance) as my processor is not very capable.  As
I typically only write large sequential files, I was pondering whether
I could create a large uninitialized file, figure out where it was
physically located on the disk, unmount the drive and then let my
hardware fill the relevant blocks with data, before handing control
back to the software and remounting the drive. This would give me the
advantages of a filesystem, without having to implement one in
hardware, which would be challenging!

This was probably impossible from the get go, as there is no doubt
some glaring hole in my understanding of how file systems work!

Thanks for the help.