Re: XFS issues with NVMe SSD

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 6:53 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 08:50:48AM -0500, Brian Foster wrote:
>> Since this is limited hardware (I don't have access to such hardware, at
>> least), it might also be helpful to see if you can isolate the problem
>> from a full distro install. For example, can you format such a device
>> external to the rootfs, mount, copy some stuff and reproduce the
>> corruption after some sequence of unmount/remount/reboot operations?
>
> I have plenty of NVMe hardware, although none of them is Intel and I've
> never seen corruption like that.  I also don't run Fedora, though :)
>
> Does anyone know if the Fedora installer does a fstrim run or something
> similar?  I remember that most Intel NVMe devices had some pretty severe
> deallocate (aka discard on NVMe) bugs.  A firmware update might be a
> good start in that case.

The installer doesn't do fstrim or blkdiscard before installation; but
on my SSDs at least mkfs.xfs and mkfs.btrfs result in trim. So one
possible test would be to manually mkfs with -k, and then if it's a
live media installation, install manually from the booted live
environment with:

rsync -pogAXtlHrDx --exclude /dev/ --exclude /proc/ --exclude /sys/
--exclude /run/ --exclude /boot/*rescue* --exclude /etc/machine-id
/run/install/source/ /mnt/sysimage

--
Chris Murphy