Re: Reading about CoW architecture / Performance Limits

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 01:10:11AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:05:44AM -0800, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > > 3. There appears to be code that allows retroactively creating CoW for
> > > two files that existed separately before. Is that (planned to be)
> > > exposed to userland?
> >
> > No plans for that at the moment.  There used to be a debugging knob, but
> > it was ripped out before upstreaming the code.
>
> I think he's asking for the dedup ioctl, which is supported.

Ah, that could be the case.  If you were asking about deduplication,
then yes, XFS supports that too.  duperemove supports XFS since August.
Some of the newer dedup tools that also want the space map (bees) might
support XFS once we get GETFSMAP working.

--D