Re: Switching from group to project quota's

On 12/18/16 7:03 PM, ncoulson-ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> We are currently using user and group quota's on multiple xfs
> filesystem.  When trying to switch to Project Quota's, it attempts to
> perform a quotacheck.

I assume that you mean you switched mount -o uquota,gquota for
mount -o uquota,pquota or something like that?

> Tested on a lvm snapshot of a live volume,  it was still not mounted
> after about a week (and couldn't find a way to cancel the attempted
> mount.  dmesg did mention quotacheck, but I can't say it was doing
> the quotacheck for the full week).
>
> Is there a way to convert from Group Quota's to Project Quota's while
> avoiding the quotacheck?  (There are currently no project quota's
> defined).  Outside of that, I was curious what scenario's would cause
> quotacalc to recalculate.

If any quota is on at mount time, and the "checked" flag is not present
in the on-disk superblock, then quotacheck gets run.

In general, we do accounting even if we don't do enforcement; i.e.
having no quotas defined does not man that quota activity isn't
happening - it is, because accounting happens regardless.

> Thank You
>

> 1TB Volumes, Reviewing one of them, we are using 67G of 934GB (they
> vary from 400GB free to 50GB Free).
>
> Inode usage seems to range from 5000000 to 8000000.
>
> Using the 2.6.32 kernel from Centos 6.8, but was doing my tests with
> a snapshot of the volume on a centos 7.2 host (kernel 3.10)

> I thought I may be able to work around this by removing the group
> quota information,  but xfs_quota -x, remove -g with and without
> group quota's on failed to work.    Everytime I received XFS_QUOTARM:
> Invalid argument

This was likely fixed upstream in 3.16

commit 9da93f9b7cdf8ab28da6b364cdc1fafc8670b4dc