Re: default mount options

Eric Sandeen wrote:

 But those systems also, sometimes, change runtime
behavior based on the UPS or battery state -- using write-back on
a full-healthy battery, or write-through when it wouldn't be safe.

    In that case, it seems nobarrier would be a better choice
for those volumes -- letting the controller decide.

No.  Because then xfs will /never/ send barriers requests, even
if the battery dies.  So I think you have that backwards.
---
	If the battery dies, then the controller shifts
to write-through and no longer uses its write cache.  This is
documented and observed behavior.

If you leave them at the default, i.e. barriers /enabled,/ then the
device is free to ignore the barrier operations if the battery is
healthy, or to honor them if it fails.

If you turn it off at mount time, xfs will /never/ send such
requests, and the storage will be unsafe if the battery fails,
and you will be at risk for corruption or data loss.
---
	I know what the device does in regards to its battery.
I don't know that the device responds to xfs-drivers in a way
that xfs will know to change barrier usage.

Just leave the option at the default, and you'll be fine.  There is
rarely, if ever, a reason to change it.
--- Fine isn't what I asked. I wanted to know if the switch
specified that xfs should add barriers or that barriers were already
handled in the backing store for those file systems.  If the prior
then I would want nobarrier on some file systems, if the latter, I
might want the default.  But it sounds like the switch applies
to the former -- meaning I don't want them for partitions that
don't need them.

"barrier" means "the xfs filesystem will send barrier requests to the
storage."  It does this at critical points during updates to ensure
that data is /permanently/ stored on disk when required - for metadata
consistency and/or for data permanence.

If the storage doesn't need barriers, they'll simply be ignored.
---
	How can that be determined?  If xfs was able to determine
the need for barriers or not, then why can't it determine something
as simple as disk alignment and ensure writes are on optimal boundaries?

"partitions that don't need them" should be /unaffected/ by their
presence, so there's no use in turning them off.

Turning them off risks corruption.
---
	The only corrupt devices I've had w/xfs were ones
that had them turned on.  Those were > 5 years ago.  That
says to me that there are likely other risks that have had a greater
possibility for causing corruption than that caused by lack or
presence of barriers.

-l