Re: Silent skipping of file during xfsrestore

On 11/28/16 10:43 AM, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 11/28/16 11:32 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> There is no explicit check on boot for xfs, so nothing would happen there.
>
> Yeah, I thought that was the case.  Just wanted to make sure.
>

>> Can you check timestamps on the file to be sure that your assumption
>> that it's not getting written is correct?  I know cups likes to write
>> and rewrite config files even if no changes occur, for example.
>
> The problem is that I wiped the target partition clean before doing the
> xfsrestore.   So the only copy that could be present anywhere is in the
> xfsdump backups.    Is it possible to check the timestamp / metadata of
> a file from within xfsrestore?
>
> If not, then I don't think it will be possible to tell what about that
> file may have been problematic.  The data in the file is pretty static,
> and it's basically the database information that MythTV uses.  That is,
> the hostname, username, and password for the MySQL database, and that's
> about it.  Those things don't change.  There is also no open handle for
> that file when the system is running.  It's just read in once on system
> startup.
>
> I replaced the file with a file-level backup that I had from over 3
> years ago, and the system is now fine.  My faith in xfsdump is what I'm
> still trying to repair.  :)

Yep, understood.  I guess that's why part of a good backup strategy is to
test your backups.  ;)

Maybe watch the existing config file on your rebuilt box to see if timestamps
change; otherwise I don't really know what to say about why it was skipped,
if there's nothing in the xfsdump logs from before.

-Eric