Re: Slow file stat/deletion

On 27/11/2016 23:14, Dave Chinner wrote:

Ah, hard link farms. aka "How to fragment the AGI btrees for fun and
profit."

Interesting... there is anything I can read about AGI fragmentation?

Not now. Speed is a factor of the inode layout and seek times. Find
relies on sequential directory access which is sped up on XFS by
internal btree readahead and it doesn't require reading the extent
list. rm processes inodes one at a time and requires reading of the
extent list so per-inode there is more IO, a lot more CPU time spent
and more per-op latency, so it's no surprise it's much slower than
find.

To tell the truth, "find" and "rm" show quite similar results: ~24 minutes for the former, ~30 minutes for the latter. I perfectly understand that "rm" is going to be slower than find; my point is that *even* "find" seems quite slow...

finobt=0.

finobt was added primarily to solve inode allocation age-related
degradation for hard link farm style workloads. It will have
significant impact on unlink as well, because initial inode
allocation patterns will be better...

This is a very interesting information; thank you.

Nope, but it means that what should be sequential IO is probably
going to be random. i.e. instead of directory/inode/extent reading
IO having minimum track-track seek latency because they are all
nearby (1-2ms), they'll be average seeks (6-7ms) because locality is no
longer as the filesystem has optimised for.

Should not thinp overhead be minimized by the big (8 MB) chunk size? Are inode allocation so much scattered around LBAs? Maybe the slowdown can be increased by bad journal placement (I imagine it is near the start of the disk, while current read/write activity surely happen near the end)?

noalign affects data placement only, and only for filesystems that
have a stripe unit/width set, which yours doesn't:

			sunit=0      swidth=0 blks

Isn't that the proper results of "noalign"? By opting for "noalign" I am telling mkfs to discard any stripe information, right?

Yes. Made worse by being on a thinp volume.

I can't do anything for that?

Only used for data readahead. Will make no difference to
directory/stat/unlink performance.

Thank you again for valuable information.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

--