Re: [rfe]: finobt option separable from crc option? (was [rfc] larger batches for crc32c)

On 11/4/16 1:56 AM, L.A. Walsh wrote:

> Dave Chinner wrote:
>> If I had a dollar for every time someone said "hardware raid
>> protects me" I'd have retired years ago.
> ----
>     It's not a sole line of protection, but it does a fair
> job of *detection*.
>> Media scrubbing does not protect against misdirected writes,
>> corruptions to/from the storage, memory errors, software bugs, bad
>> compilers (yes, we've already had XFS CRCs find a compiler bug),
>> etc.
> ---
>     Crc's don't _protect_ against such things either -- they
> can allow detection, but for protection ... I make due with
> xfsdump.  As for crc's -- I already had the feature
> prevent me from creating and using new partitions where it
> didn't like me setting the disk UUID when creating a
> new partition -- something that I heard
> would be fixed -- but something that prevented me from testing
> the new finobt feature I was interested in.

That has been fixed for over a year, now, FWIW.

v4.3 kernel / v4.2.0 xfsprogs

> I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to test in my environment, but _both_ with and without the crc option.
>     I seem to remember, recently, that it took other kernel
> developers to disable xfs panicing the entire system on problem
> detection, with the idea of only disabling what was broken.

Sorry, what?

>     Along the same lines, if I am using crc's and badness is
> detected, I'd want to be able to keep the disk online, though
> in "read-only" mode to allow me to explore what was wrong and find
> the best solution.
>> You may not care about this, but plenty of other XFS users do.
> ---
>     That's a crock -- I never said I didn't care about having
> it -- just that I wanted to be able to run finobt with crc's being
> disabled.

If you want an untestable a la carte mishmash every option, there
are other filesystems which will do that for you.  They have lots of
weird broken corner cases as a result.

The xfs development crew has limited resources, and part of the decision
to /not/ make infinite combinations of features available was so that
we can get reliable coverage in testing and produce a robust result.

But we already went through all this on a similar thread 1 year ago...

> I noted after my last response, that you said your crc
> testing only jumped around the tests to compare crc's -- which
> sounded like they were still being generated but not checked -- no wonder the no-crc option was the slowest of tested options.
>
>> I can't do this for you. I don't know what your workload is, nor
>> what hardware you use.  *Give me numbers* that I can work with -
>> something we can measure and fix. You need to do the work to show
>> there's an issue - I can't do that for you, and no amount of
>> demanding that I do will change that.
>
> I don't want to bother others with my testing, I just want the
> platform to be open enough for me to quietly do my own testing
> and go forward from there.  I may be ignorant, but I'm also
> picky about things I care about -- thus I prefer to do _some_
> things myself, thank-you.
>
> I realize that closed-platforms where the undesirable is bundled with the desirable and where end-users have no choice
> is the wave of the future.  I realize that in many cases, large
> corporations are pushing these changes.

Oh come on, now.

Open source doesn't mean everyone gets a pet pony in their favorite
color.  Failing to offer said ponies to each user doesn't make
this a "closed platform" and I resent the assertion on behalf of
Dave and other xfs developers.  We're performing a herculean task
with a skeleton crew.  Dave, in particular, has performed tirelessly
for /years/ helping to create what is now arguably the highest-performing,
most robust, most scalable filesystem available on Linux.

A large part of XFS's success has been due to wise design and development
decisions, /including/ the decision to keep the test matrix under control.

And I'm not sure what to make sure of your mention of "large corporations"
but I can assure you that decisions like this are made within the xfs
developer community, without outside influence.

-Eric