df and SAMBA Free not working after rm

	When I use rm -r to delete a directory structure, the system no
longer reports the correct free space.  I tried several times in a row
deleting  directory structures containing about 4G each (DVD IFOs), but
after the operation, df still shows the same amount of disk space free.  So
does the properties informatiohn on a Windows machine for an SMB share.  I
started out with 993G free before deleting over 16G of files, but now am
only showing 997G free.  Interestingly enough, when I drilled into the
structure and used rm on a couple of the files before getting out of the
directory and using rm -r, the free space updated properly.  How can I get
XFS to re-calculate the amount of free space on a mounted file system?

The problem was reproducible on two different servers, both with XFS file
systems formatted on top of madam manages RAID6 volumes.