Re: MPK: pkey_free and key reuse

On 11/09/2017 05:59 PM, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 11/09/2017 06:48 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
On 11/08/2017 09:41 PM, Dave Hansen wrote:
(B) If a key is reused, existing threads retain their access rights,
while there is an expectation that pkey_alloc denies access for the
threads except the current one.
Where does this expectation come from?

For me, it was the access_rights argument to pkey_alloc.  What else
would it do?  For the current thread, I can already set the rights with
a PKRU write, so the existence of the syscall argument is puzzling.

The manpage is pretty bare here.  But the thought was that, in most
cases, you will want to allocate a key and start using it immediately.
This was in response to some feedback on one of the earlier reviews of
the patch set.

Okay. In the future, may want to use this access rights to specify the default for the signal handler (with a new pkey_alloc flag). If I can the default access rights, that would pretty much solve the sigsetjmp problem for me, too, and I can start using protection keys in low-level glibc code.

Using the malloc() analogy, we
don't expect that free() in one thread actively takes away references to
the memory held by other threads.

But malloc/free isn't expected to be a partial antidote to random
pointer scribbling.

Nor is protection keys intended to be an antidote for use-after-free.

I'm comparing this to munmap, which is actually such an antidote (because it involves an IPI to flush all CPUs which could have seen the mapping before).

I'm surprised that pkey_free doesn't perform a similar broadcast.

I think we should either implement revoke on pkey_alloc, with a
broadcast to all threads (the pkey_set race can be closed by having a
vDSO for that an the revocation code can check %rip to see if the old
PKRU value needs to be fixed up).  Or we add the two pkey_alloc flags I
mentioned earlier.

That sounds awfully complicated to put in-kernel.  I'd be happy to
review the patches after you put them together once we see how it looks.

TLB flushes are complicated, too, and very costly, but we still do them on unmap, even in cases where they are not required for security reasons.

You basically want threads to broadcast their PKRU values at pkey_free()
time.  That's totally doable... in userspace.  You just need a mechanism
for each thread to periodically check if they need an update.

No, we want to the revocation to be immediate, so we'd have to use something like the setxid broadcast, and we have to make sure that we aren't in a pkey_set, and if we are, adjust register contents besides PKRU. Not pretty at all. I really don't want to implement that.

If the broadcast is lazy, I think it defeats its purpose because you don't know what kind of access privileges other threads in the system have.

Your solution to all MPK problems seems to be to say that it's undefined and applications shouldn't do that. But if applications only used well-defined memory accesses, why would we need MPK?

Thanks,
Florian