initrd problem with AMD opteron dual core

hi,
we have designed an embedded motherboard with dual AMD opteron CPU and Nvidia CK804 chipset. this board works fine. lately we have replaced the two single core CPUs with two dual core CPUs, giving us a total of 4 cores. we are seeing that linux kernels from 2.6.21 to 2.6.23 are unable to load the initial ramdisk (initrd) with that new configuration. Basically the kernel complains that it can't load the ELFs with messages such as:

"Inconsistency detected by ld.so: ../sysdeps/x86_64/dl-machine: 450:
elf-machine-rela-relative: Assertion '((reloc- r_info) & 0xffffffff) ==8'
failed!

This is happening here:
http://lxr.linux.no/source/init/main.c#L762

When initrd support is disabled in the kernel (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=N), then the system is able to boot.

When using a linux kernel up to 2.6.20.21, the problem doesn't happen.

i don't know where to start to try solving this problem. why would the dual core CPUs cause a problem? i fear that just disabling the initrd could just mask a more serious problem.

thanks a lot for any help on this

Regards,
jean-francois simon
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-x86_64" in