Re: 802.15.4-2020 PHR field changes

Hello,

On 9/13/24 12:59 AM, Alexander Aring wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 9, 2024 at 8:19 PM James Hanley <jhanley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Has there been any effort to understand the changes needed to include/net/ieee802154.h and associated files within drivers/net/ieee802154 to support the ratification of 15.4-2020?  One prime example is the "Extended PHR" bit which was previously reserved to now allow extend the PHR of 2 more octets giving bits 8-11 to be used for "Frame Length MSB" and bits 12-15 marked as "Reserved" - this in combination of the legacy PHR bits 0-6 labeled as "Frame Length LSB" now allows for a frame MTU of 2048 octets.

The 802.15.4-2020 is available individually free of charge through the IEEE website through the IEEE Get Program. https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9144691

Is there a way to prototype these new changes to the spec with the mac802154_hwsim driver?

mac802154_hwsim driver uses mac802154 the SoftMAC implementation.
There are quite more changes necessary as the whole mac802154 stack
deals with static 127 bytes MTU defines, etc. Unfortunately, it isn't
just a driver change.

I understand it the way that James actually wanted to try prototyping stack changes and verify with hwsim. James, could you clarify?

To answer your question, we currently have no support for any of the newer 802154 specs. :/ Bigger MTU was brought up before (IIRC in the subGHz context) but nobody started to actually work on it.

We are happy to take changes in, but currently we have no plans on our side to get this going.

regards
Stefan Schmidt